Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sorry about this one

The things that pass for news these days are amazing.
I turn on the TV this morning to see a NBA highlight of Oklahoma City point guard Russell Westbrook penetrating and kicking to an open teammate in the corner. The teammate, whose name I'm not even going to bother looking up, passed up the shot. Westbrook yelled at the teammate to "shoot the (expletive) ball."
A discussion ensued on the bench, resulting in an argument between Westbrook and Kevin Durant.
My response? So what.
First of all, Westbrook is supposed to set teammates up with open shots. When he does his job and the teammate doesn't take the shot, it bothers him. It bothers every point guard.
I've been yelled at for not shooting the ball. I've fussed at others for not shooting the ball. It ain't a big deal. I'm sure Dude had a good reason for not shooting the ball. It probably was because he didn't think he was going to make the shot. Westbrook would argue, if you can't make that shot, then get to a spot where you can make the shot.
Anyway, it happens all the time.
Second of all, I'm sure it wasn't the first time Westbrook and Durant have argued during a game. Again, teammates disagree. Whoopty-dadgum-doo!
If there's an issue between the two star players, one of them will go and his name won't be Kevin Durant. But, if something happens it won't be because of this incident.
The fact that the media has turned this into an actual story is amazing. Even more shocking is the fact I just spent five minutes writing about it.
I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment