Friday, December 30, 2011

Great game last night!

No negativity today.
I enjoyed last night's championship game of the South Arkansas Holiday Tournament in Parkers Chapel. Norphlet and Parkers Chapel put on a display with post-season caliber intensity and desire.
I was wrong.
After their previous meeting, I told a friend the Lady Leopards would win 10-of-10 matchups against the Lady Trojans. Too much athleticism. Too many guards. Too much moxy.
PC won 51-44 last night.
So much for my expert opinion.
Okay, the Lady Leopards didn't shoot the ball well. Not only did they not make a 3-pointer all night, they were 16-of-34 at the free throw line. The Lady Trojans were also mauled on the backboards, including 20-to-3 on the offensive glass.
But, Coach Mark Young's crew did play outstanding defense. They handled Norphlet's relentless pressure well enough, attacked the basket often enough to draw fouls and survived the avalanche of glass that crumbled on top of them.
Jordan Carr bobbed-and-weaved through Norphlet for 33 points,including four 3-pointers. I thought Tye Ratliff's offense and Ahlexus Darden and Caleh Wall's defensive boardwork were huge along with Carr's willingness to defensive rebound.
On the other end, sophomore Ashalay Conway is a beast on the backboards. To me, she's the difference between Norphlet this year and last year.
Last night's game had high intensity and two vocal rooting sections to make it fun to watch. Neither team shot the ball well but credit the defense for some of that.
What made the game great was the hustle and desire. Players on both sides were diving head-first onto the floor after loose balls. Every dribble was contested much less every shot. No inch was given. Everything was hard-earned.
That's all I want to see. Last night, I saw it.
Great job by both teams.
I'm looking forward to a couple more matchups between the Lady Trojans and Lady Leopards. After what I just saw, I'm not about to make any more bold predictions as to how they'll turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment