Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Big Red makes history

I can't believe I've failed to note the signing by Junction City's Courtney Lowe to a softball letter-of-intent at Louisiana Tech last week. I've been here since fastpitch softball became a high school sport and Lowe is the first athlete ever from Union County to sign a Division I letter for softball out of high school.
Junction City's Teresa Ritchie played softball at Oklahoma State but she signed with Henderson State and transferred to the Cowgirls' program.
C-Lowe, or as I like to call her, "Big Red" will conclude the most distinguished softball career ever in the county. She's already led her team to two state championship games, losing only to powerhouse Foreman. She's a two-time News-Times Player of the Year.
"Courtney is a great local product," La. Tech Coach Sarah Dawson said on the school's website. "She is another gifted athlete with a lot of promise. Courtney has grown so much in her skills and knowledge of the game over the last year and I know she will continue to blossom once we get her on campus. We look for Courtney to play a corner position for us."
Big Red played infield for a nationally-recognized softball team the last two summers. She's been a fixture at camps in Ruston since she started her career.
"I chose Louisiana Tech because I've grown up watching them play," Lowe said. "I have always wanted to be a part of the program. It is a great school and the coaching staff is awesome."

No comments:

Post a Comment