Thursday, September 2, 2010

Facebook means starting over

I have to admit, I was late to this Facebook thing but now that I'm on it, it's pretty neat. On my first night, I linked up with old classmates I hadn't heard from since I left Hermtage after my 10th grade year.
I'm enjoying catching up. But, I must say it's a big awkward as well.
You see, the last time I talked to these people, we were 15 years old. We're in our mid-forties, now, but my only memory of them is when they were sophomores.
I find myself picturing them as a kid and I want to talk to them the same way I would have in high school. These "kids" are now businessmen, teachers and ministers with wives, kids and in some cases, grandchildren.
Basically, they're not the people they used to be. None of us are. Hopefully, we've all changed a great deal since 10th grade.
So, in a way it's fun catching up with old friends. But, truthfully, it's not really about going back to the 10th grade. It's more like going back to first grade and re-introducing ourselves all over again.
I look forward to meeting my old classmates for the first time on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment