Saturday, September 25, 2010

A win is a win

El Dorado's 37-0 win at Little Rock J.A. Fair on Friday was a little bit lackluster. Sure, the Wildcats scored on their first three plays and scored four touchdowns in their first seven snaps from the line of scrimmage.
But, that's what made the victory so bittersweet.
J.A. Fair might be the weakest football team from a big school that I've ever seen.
I'm not saying this to be mean. The War Eagles tried hard. They played about as hard as a team can play. One back, Benjamin Clark, showed an incredible amount of heart and toughness. Every single time that kid toted the football, it looked like he was in an alley fight.
Despite the War Eagles' efforts, the game was as big of a mismatch as I've seen on the 6A level. The Wildcats almost seemed to be embarrassed to be out there.
On one play, Fair lined up to punt. At least four El Dorado players closed in on the punter. It could've been any one of the four who blocked it. Hell, maybe all four got a piece of it.
But, after that, the Wildcats didn't rush the punter again. They just stood and let them kick the ball, even though most of the deep snaps bounced on the ground like weak grounders to second base.
On El Dorado's first touchdown pass, quarterback Taylor Reed stood and waited patiently for Wendall Thompson to get open. He was so open, in fact, Thompson came back and waited for Reed's underthrow, caught it and still pranced into the end zone.
The score was so easy, one of the guys on the radio had to remove his headset he was laughing so hard.
I didn't laugh only because I couldn't believe it. It was the easiest touchdown I've ever seen.
I was under more pressure playing football in my uncle's backyard with my cousins when I was about nine. I'm less comfortable sitting in my recliner playing Xbox.
El Dorado scored 37 points in the first half and, mercifully, the clock kept ticking the rest of the game. The Wildcats were very, very nice.
As for Fair, like I said, they didn't quit. They tried hard. I don't know if they'll win a game this season. I hear McClellan is pretty weak, also.
But, I doubt that any team will celebrate a victory over the War Eagles this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment