Friday, October 25, 2019

N-X-T!

I realize as I write this I'm only reaching the three or four people I know who still watch wrestling. That's fine. This has to be said even if I'm only talking to myself.
NXT on Wednesday night proves the WWE can put on a quality show if it wants to.
NXT was moved to USA on Wednesday nights to provide direct competition for AEW (All Elite Wrestling). Even if NXT, which was designed as a start-up brand for characters deemed not ready for primetime, didn't pull bigger numbers than AEW, it would cut into the new promotion's viewership, which was all Vince McMahon wanted.
NXT was always the best show when it came to the in-ring wrestling. The athletes at NXT don't have watered down move sets. They don't go through the motions. Every match seems like a big deal, not just to the fans, but to the wrestlers themselves. The storylines at NXT are basic and simple but consistent and easy to follow. There's a reason Wrestler A dislikes Wrestler B. It makes sense to see them fighting.
Don't get me started on the storylines on RAW and Smackdown.
Anyway, everyone was so excited about AEW's big television debut a couple weeks ago. I was, too. AEW drew good numbers and filled a large arena with vocal, engaged fans. The wrestling on the show is OK. I'm not into watching a bunch of 150-pound guys doing flips and choreographed gymnastics. If that's your thing, it was really good, I guess.
But this week, WWE showed how good it could be when it upped the ante on NXT. It was two hours of jelly-filled goodness. From the first match to the main event, which was off the charts. The show ended with a heel turn by Fin Balor, which no one saw coming.
I've re-watched most of the show twice, already.
Watching it again made me realize, this is what the WWE can do when it has competition. When it really wants to put on a good show, it can. It makes it that much more frustrating thinking about the shows on Monday and Friday, when they don't even make a decent effort to be entertaining or to make sense.
I tried to watch Impact, or whatever TNA is called now. It's unwatchable, for me. I gave AEW the old college try but it's not my thing. But, I will give AEW credit for one thing, it has made WWE put in the effort and made NXT, by far, the most entertaining wrestling show on television.
Ain't it amazing what a little competition can do?

No comments:

Post a Comment