Tuesday, October 1, 2019

An honest mistake?

Almost every day something reminds me just how differently Americans view the world. This might be the only country on the planet where two people can grow up during the same time period and have completely opposite views of the same picture.
It’s weird. But I think it’s kind of cool, too.
I didn’t follow the case closely in Texas of the female police officer who got off work and, accidently, walked into the wrong apartment. I’m sure you heard of it. She was tired and, I guess disoriented a bit. I don’t know. But she walked into a black man’s apartment by mistake and shot him dead. Did I mention he was in his own apartment?
Anyway, she was convicted of murder on Tuesday and the verdict was met with differing opinions. Some thought it was a just decision while others insisted it was some sort of overreaction.
One person said, “It was an honest mistake,” by the police officer.
I’m not sure how to even respond to that. But, again, we all come from different situations. We don’t have the same views because we all have our own sets of eyes.
When I see or hear people rush to the lady’s defense, obviously, they’re seeing something different than what I’m seeing. That’s fine. I’m not mad at them. I don’t share their views because I didn’t grow up in their household. I haven’t walked in their shoes or watched in their eyes.
I guess it’s the old, I see a glass half full and you see it half empty sort of thing.
As for the police officer convicted of murder, I can only offer an opinion based on my own point of view.
If I walked into a white woman’s apartment and shot her twice while she was eating ice cream, there wouldn’t be a murder conviction. The authorities would bring the electric chair to the apartment, unplug the toaster, plug in the chair and I’d be dead before they could get the police tape set up.
I’ll respect your opinion if you respect mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment