Thursday, January 27, 2011

My last nerve

I'm sure some folks are looking at me sideways, right now. I really don't care.
Well, I suppose I do care ... a little. If not, why write about it?
Rather than say I don't care, I'll say, 'let me explain.'
There's a reason why I've covered very little high school girls basketball in Union County this season. It's very simple. I'm too old for this ... stuff.
I can't take it. Can't stomach it.
Kids don't know how to play. It's that simple. I get angry when I watch them. My blood pressure rises when I watch them. My eyes water when I watch them. There's a little vein in my forehead that I never before knew existed. I discovered it while watching a girls basketball game this season. I believe the scientific term for this vein is called, "my last nerve."
Girls don't want to play basketball because they don't care enough to learn how to play basketball. That's fine. They have lots of choices and just because basketball isn't their choice, there are plenty of other great ones for them. But, if they don't care enough about basketball to even try to learn how to play, then why should I care enough to work "my last nerve" watching them?
The basketball in Union County is, by far, worse than I ever thought it would be. El Dorado, Parkers Chapel and Norphlet have solid teams with girls who have devoted their own time toward the sport. I could watch these three teams play each other in any combination seven nights a week without ever getting bored.
I can't watch one of these teams play a group of girls that doesn't take basketball very seriously. Even worse, I can't watch two groups of girls who could care less "competing" on the basketball court in a game of "can you top this?" on the stupid meter.
But Tony, you say, they're just kids.
You're right. Not everyone has to be a great player or even a good player. But, there was a time when you had to give a damn before someone gave you a uniform and put you on a team. I've seen a few young people who, obviously, don't give a hoot. I've seen senior high girls who didn't know where to line up on the free throw line. How the hell am I supposed to write an article for the newspaper about a game when the kids don't even know what to do on a freaking free throw?
Do you know how little that kid cared about basketball when they hadn't followed the sport enough to know the basic rules for a free throw?
She don't care. Why should anyone else?
I've tried to watch the games. I really have. But, I can't find a lot of positives to write about. I'm trying so hard not to embarrass a kid in the paper. So, I stay away.
If you can't say something good, don't say anything. I'll wait until I see something good before I write anything. I feel bad. Feel a little guilty. But, it's the only way I can keep my sanity and avoid hurting some child's feelings.
I'm sorry. And, I do care. But, this piss poor level of play is working my last nerve.

2 comments:

  1. I think the lack of competitiveness boils down to that we are living in the age of entitlement. People feel that they deserve things, whether it is a job or a position on a team, without the dedication and work ethic that should be there. We have some great kids in the county who are true competitors who work hard. Unfortunately, as a whole, this generation comes across as entitled.

    Of course, I could just be getting old and that's why I think that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole, I agree whole-heartedly. I never thought I'd hear myself talking about the good, old days. But, we had to earn our uniform when I was a kid. Not everybody got one. That's not the case anymore.

    ReplyDelete