Sunday, December 16, 2012

Do the right thing

From ESPN.com Three-star quarterback Tyler Cogswell (Plantation, Fla./American Heritage) was set with Arkansas since his commitment in May. When the Razorbacks went through coaching turmoil off the field and struggles on the field, Cogswell was still excited to be with Arkansas. But after a conversation with new coach Bret Bielema, Cogswell will have to find another school. Bielema informed Cogswell he no longer has a scholarship offer from the Razorbacks. “Yes, it’s true,” Cogswell said. “I know God has a plan for me, even a better plan. Knowing that, I know I will be OK.” Cogswell, who is 6-foot-5 and 228 pounds, had offers from Nebraska and Hawaii at the time of his commitment to Arkansas. He is not sure if those offers still stand because Cogswell has never looked at any other school since pledging to the Hogs. “I loved Arkansas and loved everything about the fans,” Cogswell said. “I’ll be looking for that same type of situation.” *** I'm excited about Coach Bielema being at Arkansas but I don't like the sound of this. I understand college football is big business and I also know Arkansas has a lot of young quarterbacks, including El Dorado's Taylor Reed. I wondered why they were about to sign a 3-star when they had both Reed and a 4-star recruit in Austin Allen. Still, the school offered this kid a scholarship and he eagerly accepted. He didn't look anywhere else because he had committed to Arkansas and was told the school was committed to him. I hate to see an athlete who loves the Razorbacks have the red rug pulled from underneath him through no fault of his own. I wish they'd find a way to keep him in Fayetteville, whether he plays a down at quarterback or not. Is that practical? Perhaps not. I just think it's the right thing to do. But, I guess doing something because it's the right thing is an out-dated concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment