Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Try a 1-5-5 defense

Want to make a football coach's eyes roll to the back of their head? Suggest some of the strategy you use while playing college football on your Xbox. I went to El Dorado High School today for my weekly visit with coaches Scott Reed and John Panter. Panter is the Wildcats' defensive coordinator and is, without a doubt, one of the best in the state at his position. I often find myself drifting into a world of animation when he gets too deep into the intricacies of defending the option. It's as if he starts speaking a completely different language. I think maybe it's Finnish. Anyway, Panter was telling me about how his team had to adjust on the fly at Benton last week. The Wildcats actually went to a 3-3-5 defensive alignment for a few times as the Panthers totally changed their offense. As he was talking, I saw an opening for a zinger and I couldn't resist. "You know a defense that's great," I told him with a straight face. "You should try that 1-5-5. I use it on my dynasty team on Xbox when I take over a program that don't have many defensive linemen." Panter looked at me with disbelief. "I'm telling you," I continued, "that always works. You ever seen a team use it?" He couldn't say, "no" fast enough. He practically spit the word at me like a used-up piece of gum. "Sounds like something Joe Lee Dunn would do," he muttered. "Playstation?" "Xbox," I corrected him. I backed up as I spoke just in case he had something in his hand to hurl at me. Thankfully, he has a sense of humor and knew I was just messing with him. Obviously, I was messing with him, by the way. Although, I ain't lying. That 1-5-5 is a monster defense on my Xbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment