Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Leave Cam Newton alone

What's with all this hostility towards Carolina quarterback Cam Newton? So far, all he's done wrong is not win football games and then express disappointment in himself and his team in the post-game press conferences. As far as I know, he hasn't tested positive for any performance enhancing drugs. As far as I know, he's not battering women. As far as I know, he hasn't electrocuted any dogs. As far as I know, he's not driving drunk. As far as I know, he's not shoving teammates on the sideline. As far as I know, he's not a deadbeat dad. As far as I know, he's not on drugs or drinking something called "purple." Why is he being grilled by the national media? He loses a game and then stands up and answers questions when he could duck and hide. If he smiled after a loss, people would say he doesn't care. He expresses disappointment and those same folks say he's not showing leadership. I really believe professional athletes have every right to hate the nick-picking media. They built Cam Newton up as a rookie and now that he's failed to reach "their" too-high expectations, the media is taking great delight in picking him apart. I've never been a Cam Newton fan just because I'm from Arkansas and I didn't appreciate what he did to the Razorbacks. But, as far as I know, he's a good young man who is trying his best to do all the right things. He doesn't deserve the treatment he's getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment