Monday, July 2, 2012

No love for C-Lowe

I gave the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette a quick glance Sunday just to make sure Junction City's Courtney Lowe was not named the paper's Softball Player of the Year. Oh, she's good enough to be considered. She led the Lady Dragons to three state championship games and was MVP of the 2A State Tournament this year after winning it all. But, I didn't think she'd get it just because of where she plays. I'll just leave it at that. Well, my quick glance turned into a 15-minute study period. The Democrat-Gazette named 25 players from around the state, plus a Player of the Year. I swear, I went over the list four times and never did Courtney Lowe's name cross my eyes. What the ...? It's baffling to me how this continues to happen over and over and over and ... If you don't give enough of a damn to do something right, stop doing it. They didn't offer statistics for the 25 members of the All-Arkansas Team. The paper's Miss Softball, a young lady from Bryant named Peyton Jenkins, had an impressive 32-0 pitching record with 260 strikeouts. She batted .477 with six home runs. She signed to play at Central Baptist College in Conway. I can't argue with her selection. I wouldn't say negative things about any of the athletes chosen. That ain't my style. I will only note Courtney Lowe's numbers: an 18-3 pitching record with 246 strikeouts. She batted .532 with six homers, led her team to a state championship and signed to play Division I softball at Louisiana Tech. You can argue about her winning Miss Softball. You can't argue about her being one of the 25 best players. I watched the 2A State Tournament. She was by far the best player there. I told someone, it was like watching James Anderson in basketball several years ago in Danville. James was clearly the best in the tournament. Courtney was just as dominant. Yet, two other girls from Class 2A were named ahead of her? Come on, now. Be serious. I know C-Lowe probably could give two rips about this. She's busy getting ready for her college career. And, it doesn't matter what I say. Kids from this part of the state will ALWAYS be overlooked for this kind of recognition. It, literally, happens every single year. It shouldn't. The News-Times sports staff is a phone call away. If you care at all, you'll make a call and ask if there are any local athletes to be considered. We have stats and everything and would be more than happy to share them with anyone who has an interest in Union County student-athletes. It's just a shame kids down here will NEVER be recognized. I'm assuming it's because of their location. Maybe I'm wrong. It just bothers me the heck out of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment