Monday, February 13, 2012

RIP Whitney

I always forget how quickly a gap surfaces between generations. I walked into the office Saturday afternoon to hear the news that Whitney Houston had died. It was almost as shocking as if a family member had passed away.
I'm not sure why I was so stunned. While I always appreciated the fact that Houston had one of the greatest voices of my generation, I was never just the biggest fan. Never bought any of her albums or anything like that.
But, the news of her death hit me in the chest like an anvil. I suppose it was just because she was such a large figure for my generation.
I found out that generation has passed, however, as the weekend editor at the newspaper, who is in her twenties, wasn't even sure if news of Houston's death merited mention in the Sunday edition.
I couldn't believe my ears.
Apparently, today's young 'uns were born too late for Whitney Houston and Prince and, maybe even Madonna. She really and truly didn't understand what the big fuss was about.
Well, I kicked and stomped and pouted and raised enough hell until she finally put the story on one of the inside pages of the newspaper. I even got her to tease to it.
I vaguely remember Elvis Presley's death when I was a teenager. Somehow, I knew the significance of it even though his music was slighty before my time.
Times have certainly changed.
RIP Whitney Houston. Even if some young people don't understand, your music left a mark that will stand the test of time. Well, at least for my generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment