Saturday, January 24, 2015

Who's the favorite in the 7AA-East?

Most of the teams in the 7AA-East are either at or close to the midway point of the season. With that in mind, I suppose it's time for a follow-up on my predictions.
Earlier, I tabbed Junction City as the team to beat, based on their performance in the Fordyce Tournament. Unfortunately, the Lady Dragons suffered an injury to point guard Jyrezhia Nathan, which has changed the team's makeup severely. Junction City is now woefully shorthanded in the backcourt, which happens to be an area of strength for both Parkers Chapel and Strong.
The Lady Trojans have been a bit of a surprise for me. Honestly, I was concerned they might be a bit one-dimensional, too dependent on the 3-point shot. But, Coach Mark Young has so many different shooters, PC might be immune to any prolonged shooting slumps. And, sophomore Bailey Norwood has grown up enough to give the team some inside punch.
Strong, now, I cannot figure. The Lady Bulldogs looked disinterested at Parkers Chapel but has beaten the Lady Dragons twice. I witnessed the win in the Dual State finals. I was impressed with Strong's grit in that game just like I was in the Fairview Tournament against Camden Fairview. How can this be the same team that blew a big lead at Hampton and got mercy-ruled at Parkers Chapel?
Junction City can't shoot. Until the Lady Dragons prove they can make anything other than a layup, opponents will pack the defense into the paint to take away the power and strength of Khadijah Webster and the slashing ability of Nikayla Fisher. Nathan's absence takes away a shooter and forces Fisher to the point and away from her natural position on the wing.
The Lady Trojans have a two-game cushion and, barring injuries, sit comfortably in the driver's seat in the league. I look for the Lady Bulldogs to grab the No. 2 seed. I like Junction City's spirit but its youth is glaring at times. After seeing what life is like in senior high, I hope the Lady Dragons will put in the necessary work in the offseason. There's talent there but that's not enough.
All that being said, I'm begging all the girls teams in Union County, DO NOT make winning conference your primary goal. Conference is a stepping stone to bigger, more important things. I don't care what your record is, if you don't make it to state, something's missing.
Teams need to be playing at their best in the postseason. Obviously, injuries cannot be accounted for. But, everybody's goal should be to get to Pangburn. Once you get to state, nobody cares what seed you were coming out of your district.

No comments:

Post a Comment