Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My son, Jadeveon

If South Carolina's Jadeveon Clowney was my son, what would I tell him? I would ask him one question. Son, if you shattered your leg and could never walk again, would Coach Steve Spurrier take you into his home and take care of you? If the answer is, "no" then I suggest you take care of yourself now, while you still can. Clowney told his coaches last Saturday that he was injured and couldn't play in the team's game against Kentucky. His timing, a few minutes before kickoff, was bad. Other than that, I don't see what all the fuss is about. If not for some archaic NCAA rules that force athletes to stay in college, Clowney would already be a millionaire in the NFL. Instead, he's forced to play a dangerous game for free, while others around him reap the rewards for his sweat. I don't blame him one bit for refusing to play through an injury. If he was my son, I'd tell him to not get back on the field until he's a hundred percent healthy. All those coaches and fans and media-folks criticizing him for his selfishness? Where will they be when he tears his knee up and can't play anymore? College football isn't about amateur competition. It hasn't been for a long time. It's a business. It's big business with millions of dollars exchanging hands. Those dollars aren't supposed to touch the hands of the athletes. That's fine, I suppose. They are getting a college education, if they want it. But, for the few who can actually use their God-given talents to actually make a lot of money, they should think about themselves first and their team second. Spurrier was rich before he ever met Clowney. He'll be rich long after he parts ways with Clowney. But, Clowney's window to make money will open and shut once and it won't be open for long. Football is big business. The athletes play for their respective teams. But, I would never advise any athlete to put his own future in jeopardy for the sake of the university. Whether you play or not, South Carolina will be alright, son.

No comments:

Post a Comment