Friday, August 17, 2012

Nice girls don't

Bless her heart, Hope Solo does not have a humble bone in her body. The goalkeeper for the U.S. Women's National Soccer Team is on a media blitz promoting her new autobiography. She's the best female goalkeeper in the world and has been for several years. If you don't believe me, just ask her. Some of her comments make me cringe and I consider myself a fan of hers. And, I understand it takes a supreme confidence to be good at anything, much less a world class athlete. Honestly, it's not Solo's cocky-as-hell attitude that befuddles me. It's everyone's reaction to her cocky-as-hell attitude. Usain Bolt tells the camera to move in closer before he proclaims himself to be a legend, the greatest ever and number one forever. I laughed out loud, thought it was kind of cool. Solo states, matter-of-factly, that she's great at what she does and boasts of all the adversity she's overcome and I wince. What she's saying isn't as bad as what Bolt says but he comes off as charming and innocent. Why doesn't she? I guess it's the female thing. Maybe? Do we expect females to be shy, modest and quiet? Are women supposed to be humble creatures who cry at the sight of a spider while waiting for a man to rescue them? Is that what we expect? Why are strong women with opinions called bitches? If it's okay for Usain Bolt to say, "I am a legend" why do I shake my head when Hope Solo proudly talks about how good she is? It's not just me. I've heard others berate Solo for her comments. She's one of the most disliked female athletes out there. She's one of the most outspoken. She's also one of the best. But, if you put male and female athletes together in the same category, Hope Solo wouldn't crack the top 10 in the ego competition. Yet, somehow with her, it's different. I don't get it. I probably never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment