Thursday, April 28, 2011

Baloney?

I was conducting an interview with El Dorado senior Emily Sinclair the other day at the office. I'm on a bit of a diet so my stomach was doing its low roar of a growl. For the first time in a long time, I thought back to my youth and began craving a good, old-fashioned fried bologna sandwich.
For no reason, I asked Sinclair, "you ever had a baloney sandwich?"
She looked around to make sure I was talking to her.
"Huh? Me?"
"Yeah, you ever had a baloney sandwich?"
She looked at me as if I was an alien who had just dropped down from outer space.
"Uh, no," she said. "What is that? Is it like bacon? I like bacon."
No, child, it's not like bacon.
Wow! Times have changed.
I grew up on baloney sandwiches. I wouldn't be here today if it weren't for baloney sandwiches. It was the first meal I could prepare for myself. When I got home from school, both of my parents were at work so I would slice off a hunk of bologna and throw it in the skillet. It was easy and delicious.
I'm not sure our fridge was ever without bologna for very long. It was a staple for our family and, as far as I'm concerned, the original fast food.
I guess it's not a popular choice for today's youth, who have advantages of microwave foods that we didn't enjoy.
As disgusting as a fried baloney sandwich might sound to kids these days, it's there loss.

***
The Arkansas Activities Association announced today that Benton High School self-reported that it had played an ineligible player(s) during the 2010 football season, and has forfeited its three Class 6A South Conference wins. The Arkansas Activities Association has placed the Benton football program on warning throughout the 2011 football season.
During the season Benton defeated Sheridan, 29-24, Little Rock McClellan 49-8 and Little Rock Fair 61-13.

No comments:

Post a Comment